top of page


The inspection and testing process normally begins during the very first visit  to a property in the form of a visual inspection of the consumer unit and other equipment that forms part of the electrical installation.

Before the commencement of any works, (for example: changing a consumer unit or adding new sockets) it is wise to test the relevant circuits involved before the work starts and before the client receives the quotation. Testing the circuit first will reveal any existing faults or problems with the circuit that may exist which can be rectified at the same time.This will eliminate problems later on.

Once the works has been completed the circuit will be tested thoroughly and the results entered onto the relevant certificate.



Part P is basically part of the Building Regulations and is concerned with Electrical safety in dwellings. In circumstances where it is necessary to 'Notify' completed electrical work within a dwelling a 'Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance' will be generated by the 'NICEIC' and passed onto the client. This certificate guarantees that the work carried out by the electrician complies with Part P of the Building Regulations. The 'Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance' would be in addition to the 'electrical installation certificate' or 'minor works certificates' issued by the electrician for the client.

When changing a socket or a light fitting on a like for like basis no certification is required since no new wiring is involved.  It would not be necessary to 'notify' this work either. However, I will always test the replaced accessory to make certain it is safe.

When any new wiring is involved the electrical regulations / law require that the wiring is  tested and certified and if necessary 'Local Building Control' notified and a 'Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance' issued to the client.

A 'Minor works certificate' is required for small jobs such as adding an extra socket or an extra lighting point but this would not be notifiable unless the work is in a 'special location'.

Where a new circuit is installed or a consumer unit is replaced or a house is rewired it is necessary to Notify 'Local Building Control' through the NICEIC so that a 'Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance' can be issued.

The 'Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance' is given to the client and it guarantees that the electrical work carried out by the Electrician complies with Part P of the building regulations.

Certain other small works such as an outside light not fixed to a building (example decking lights) and certain small works in a bathroom (example downlights above a bath) will require notifying.

bottom of page